Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Lesson of the Rubber Chicken

This is from an seemingly unrelated field of Project Management, but gives a very meaningful and interesting take on the role of "Responsibility."

From: The Project Shrink Blog

"I think the single most important concept that I share with people in my work is "The Lesson of the Rubber Chicken". (My rubber chicken travels with me everywhere I go. You might say he's a "frequent flyer".) I just hold him at shoulder height and release him, then ask "What caused the chicken to fall?" "Gravity." Is the most common answer, but that’s a victim's perspective. The chicken falls because I released him. Yes, gravity contributed, but blaming gravity focuses on what we can't control, and diminishes our power to make a difference in what is happening in our world. There are always circumstances outside of our control, but there is far more power in asking "How am I contributing to this situation and what can I do to make a positive difference?" Stop blaming gravity. Hold on to the chicken!"

No comments: